Monday, October 1, 2007

The killer bee has left the hive....

A hometown hero said his final goodbyes last night as he ended his 20 year stint as an Astro. Craig Biggio doubled in his first at bat and scored his final run as an Astro Sunday night as the 'Stros beat the Braves 3-0 (I know, pretty shocking).

I don't have a single memory of the Astros that doesn't include Biggio. As a young buck, which I guess technically I still am, my friend and I would arrive early to every 'Stros game to shag balls in the general admission seats during batting practice. Our favorites were Biggio and Bagwell because they would typically be the ones hitting it that far. We constructed a baseball "fetcher" to snag balls from the flowers that lined the outfield in the Astrodome. It was originally a golf ball retriever but we just put a larger scoop on the end to accommodate the larger size of the baseballs.

He'll be missed in Houston, especially the way the 'stros have been playing lately... but at least we have the Texans...wait....they're not any better....let me try that again....but at least we have the Dynamo!!